10 gallons with ease.
I use a hose barb and regular plastic tubing to run the cooled wort from the pot into the fermenter.
… and some will hook it up to a pump & recirculate while using an immersion chiller & others will add a counterflow chiller to the pump. All sorts of uses. Just depends on your setup.
Brew stand is a self welded 3 tier stand using 3 converted kegs w/ 3 propane burners.
grind my grain on a barley crusher with a drill
make my starters on a stir plate
chill with a plate chiller from DudaDiesel
use pure 02 with stone
Ferment in carboys, sanke keg, and plastic containers that Mullerbrau uses on occasion in a temp controlled enviroment
I welded up the handle holes in my MT and BK to go 15 gallon batches and more grain capacity.
I do 12 gallon batches. I mash in a 70qt Coleman, boil in a 16.25 gallon SS kettle that I got off Amazon for near free, and I heat my water in 7.5 turkey fryers. I have 2 burners. For fermentation, use a combination of 6.5 gal buckets, carboys, and a 15.5 gal demijon.
15 gal converted Keggle, 10 gal ROUND Igloo w/ Phil’s False Bottom, 48 qt Coleman cooler for HLT. boil on a Bayou fryer, tier system is on a Werner scaffold. Fermented in 2 6.5 gal glass carboys until I got the B3 temp conical 12.5 gal.
I generally do 16.5 gallon batches in my 25 gallon Megapot with a 100qt cooler for a mashtun. I was doing primary and secondary in 6 carboys but recently upgraded to a 27 gallon Fermenator and was able to push my no boil Berliner up to a batch size of 22 gals which seems to be the safe limit for the Fermenator. We were having some issues with larger grain bills and wheats with runoff so we decided to mod the mashtun in the pics below. At this batch size pumps and a Therminator are a must to speed up the brew day. I am now on the hunt for an upright freezer to give the Fermenator a home and do precise temp control and lager fermenting.
Edit. The image link didn’t take so you can check out the pics on my website. 慈溪寺母通讯股份有限公司
I brew 5 gal batches with a turkey freyer and a round 10 gal igloo and have no desire to upsize
Fred
+1
5 gallons seems to be the perfect size. All of it fits in the kegs, and I can split into 2-3gal carboys if I want to experiment…
…or maybe I just need more friends?
I generally do 12 gallon batches.
Found an aluminum 80qt (heavy duty) on Instawares for less than $100.
Mash in a 70qt Coleman Extreme
Natural gas fired on ring-burners
Heavy-duty 1/2" Cu immersion chiller with an ice-water recirc.
Currently wort is transferred with a gallon pitcher and filtered through a China-cap or sieve. Modifications underway to install kettle-valve for my March-pump to transfer instead.
Ferment in 7.9 gallon buckets inside 40 gallon plastic totes chilled with frozen soda-bottles.
It’s easy to step down to 6 gallon batches since it’s hard to drink 12 gallons of an experimental brew gone awry…
Here’s my ghetto setup:
What pumps do you all use for the recirculation?
http://www.harborfreight.com/1-4-quarter-hp-115-volt-submersible-water-pump-98342.html
I got it for $39…
euge, that setup is very “green”! Very little water waste. Even the frozen bottles can be refrozen, I assume. Thanks for posting the pump pic. Adding that to my birthday/Santa list.

