Batch Sparge Water Temp

I over heated my sparge water to 192F this past weekend.  I cursed, then I decided to sparge anyway because Denny claims it won’t make an objectionable beer if the sparge pH is right.

I sure hope Denny didn’t ruin my beer. Time will tell. Wish me luck. :slight_smile:

If your pH was good you’ll be fine ;).  I’ve made a lot of beer batch sparged that hot. You’ll have to post your final impression.

Well, I did sneak in and dump some PBR into it, just for chumley…

I may have to cut the batch with 50% PBR just to soften the tannins.

…then dry hop the hell out of it to cover up the PBR !      ;D

PBR won a medal at GABF this year.  I think it has won several medals over the years.  It can’t be that bad, but I don’t plan on buying it to find out.  Light lagers aren’t something I enjoy much.

It ain’t called “Blue Ribbon” for nothing! I know it’s a better American Lager than I can make.

I know, just struck me funny !  I’ve had some PBR over the years, none of it memorable though.

I love pbr. Too expensive in Texas at 10.99. $6.99 12 packs in California.

Article on where the blue ribbon came from.

By the way, batch sparging with too hot water isn’t Denny’s method. Lots of brewers do it. :wink:

I almost bought a sixer of Schlitz (not the malt liquor) the other day for $3.99.

Brewed since 1849.  The current version has Cascade, Mt Hood and Willamette hops.  If I need a cheap beer to fix my tannin ale, it will be Schlitz.  They definitely aren’t sparging with 192F water since 1849.

I need a scapegoat if this beer is a tannin bomb and Denny is it.

Yeah, Schlitz is my occasional go to ‘lawnmower’ beer. I think it’s pretty solid for the $$. Though I’d rather  brew a cream ale as my lawnmower.

It’s the original beer with Gusto!

I doubt it makes it outside the Midwest and Wisconsin probably drinks 80% of it.

How much gusto do they add I wonder?

Enough to make you think that captain hat is the way to go.    :wink:

Alright, back on topic.  Serious question.  Why would anyone purposely sparge with hotter than 180F water?

Remember the marketing campaign, “When you’re out of Schlitz, you’re out of beer.” We always thought that was true, since Schlitz was the absolute last brand of beer you bought. It was that bad.

So you haven’t had Schaeffer or Flagstaff in the 90s?  Consider yourself lucky.

I’ve heard the new Schlitz is decent.

“Devil in the White City” is a very good read too.