Yeah, that’s the way I looked at it, but being the pragmatic (read:lazy!) type I finally just gave it up.
I am not a fan of using test strips for chlorine or chloramine detection. I prefer the colormetric test kits like you use for swimming pools or aquariums. In the case of your utility using chlorine or chloramine, you should use a colormetric test kit that measures Total Chlorine. There are some kits that measure only Free Chlorine and that test will not tell you if there still is chloramine in the water. The Total Chlorine test will provide that and I feel that this test method can tell you if trace amounts remain.
Martin Brungard
Carmel, IN
Thanks for your thoughts, Martin. Your advice on water is invaluable.
Jeff,
How much do you put in your strike water? Seems like a much easier and less expensive method than boiling the chlorine off. Also, will the PM have any effect on the yeast when I pitch later in the brew day.I know its used to kill off wild yeast and bacteria. I once used PM in a batch of cider I made. I didnt wait long enough and it killed all of my yeast! Took a while to get that batch going!!!
Typical dose is 1 tablet per 20 gallons of water, but you don’t have to go too crazy measuring it. As long as you’re in the ballpark (and I would say over that amount) it’s fine.
And by the time the yeast get to the wort, there’s no danger from the campden tablets. The sulfite will get boiled off as Jeff mentioned. The potassium is fine.
typo fix
Thanks, Tom! Lots to learn…
No worries cheba. ![]()
What Tom said. Thanks for pinch-hitting for me, Tom. I hadn’t checked the forum for a while.