electric brewing systems

FWIW, I have a modified RIMS system that in addition to the 1650 watt electric heating element (3300 watt element at 220V that I run on 110 V), there is a burner under the mash tun.  I can raise the mash temp from 148 to 168 in about 10 minutes.  I keep the electric element going all the time and use the burner to bump the temp in increments.  For example, I set the PID to 168, keeping the recirc running, and light the burner at a low flame to keep from scorching the wort.  When the PID shuts off the electric heat, I kill the burner, let the temp stabilize and repeat until I get to the mash out temp.  It works well for me.
Just another idea.

Since MattyAHA said in #26 that he’s going with a brew stand and a stainless mash tun he already has, this could be a workable solution for him.  Burner for now, add the RIMS tube later to fine tune and stabilize the system.  I like stuff you Macgyver yourself and can continually modify to suit your needs.

Not that it matters a lot here, but running at half voltage doesn’t give you half power, it gives you 1/4 power.

I just bought a Unibrau v3 which has a 1600W element, though not in the classic RIMS tube configuration.

First time using it (2 weeks ago), I brewed a no sparge Saison with 10.5 lbs. of grain and 8 gallons of strike water.  It was able to ramp the full mash from 148° F to 163° F in 13 minutes.  The fastest you would want to do that is 8.3 minutes (using the rule of thumb of no faster than 1° C per minute).

I was then able to step from 163° to 168° in 5 minutes (fastest you would want to do that is 2.8 minutes).

I was pretty happy with that.

King Kooker Propane Brewing System Might even go with this and build another tier and remove the the small burner and put it with the HLT up top and the middle tier will just be a shelf for the mash, no burner but will add rims later and the jet burner down low for the kettle, i think im gonna save alot cash and get the same function, just gotta have a boil kettle to be the right height so its not taller then the mash tun output