How's your LHBS doing?

I’ve got 2 LHBS in my area, ran by the same guy.
The only problem is, the hours. :frowning:
I always have to look to the website to see where he is going to be on the day I’m going to be in the area.
Kinda frustrating, but at least I have them in the area, and he’s very knowledgeable on brewing.

I presume you’re referring to Grape & Granary?  I hope our friends on Home Ave. stay around a long time.  They’re my go-to shop in the Cleveland/Akron area.  The other shops around here just don’t carry as much variety or turn their inventory over fast enough.

Yep, I think G&G looks to be a survivor.  I was talking to John about the new West Branch Malts in Brunswick, I hope he can carry their malt in the future.  Ohio grown barley even.  And G&G’s offshoot Renaissance Artisan Distillers is a great addition.  (Try King’s Cut if you like whisky.) I don’t know any of the shops in Cleveland anymore, but G&G seemed to be a step ahead of the pack from the time they opened in the old spot in the early '90s.

I also have to go there to visit the Cuyahoga Cup since we SNOBs haven’t managed to win it away from SAAZ and have it on our home turf for a while!  :wink:

I ran out for ingredients last weekend only to find they had closed last August.  Apparently I haven’t brewed in awhile.

I still have a LHBS, it’s just further away.  It’s the store I started with in the 90s, just not so conveniently located as it used to be.

My LHBS is a bar. They have 30 taps of craft beer in a nice setting. I think that part of the business does okay. But, there is a lot of competition and they never look crowded.

I can’t see how they make any money on the LHBS part of the business. I hardly ever see anyone buying supplies. My guess is they will kill that part of the business and go to bottle shop. Their other location did that. I am not helping. I buy supplies every now and again. I prefer to shop online.

Our town has a population of 80,000 here in Ontario with no lhbs. I live 1 1/2 hrs from Toronto and their hb stores seem to be doing quite well. In the mid 90’s you couldn’t find any hb stores. They have quite a few now, finally. The biggest store where I order from is online only. No store front. They have absolutely everything to make beer.

That happened to me with Brew and Grow in the West Loop. I assume they got priced out of there, as they were usually busy when I went.

I had to run to their location at Kedzie and Ashland. No more free bags for grain which is ridiculous.

I was totally unprepared.  I used t shop there all the time but then had a closer and smaller store open up that I liked. A more local lhbs if you will.

Glad brew and grow is still around.

There are two within about 30 miles of me that have brewing supplies as a sideline to other businesses and are doing ok since brewing supplies account for only a small part of their revenue.  However they only carry the basics.  I recently wanted to buy some brown malt and neither had it in stock.  And one stores hops un-refrigerated.

I support them when I can.  However, I buy base grains by the 50-lb sack at a local craft brewery with no shipping charges for much less than the LHBS charges; $42.50 flat charge for a 50-lb. bag.

My LHBS is a couple of shelves in an Ace Hardware store.  My last visit was pretty sad.  They used to have a couple pallets of sacks of malt, this time they only had 6 sacks, and none of it was what I wanted (pils and American 2-row).  And, they pretty much have given up stocking liquid yeast except for distiller’s yeast.

Do you live in VA by chance, cause we have the exact same issue. 1 of the 2 homebrew shops in town is a Hydroponics place that also sells homebrew supplies. In fact, I’m pretty sure the Hydro store was recently sold to owners who plan to keep the store open. My other LHBS (the one that is much more convenient for me) is doing quite well. It’s a fantastic place. Essentially, anything you could possible need, he has… and he’s also very active in the local homebrew club. Can’t ask for more!

Nope, Central IL. I wonder how many hydro shops started thinking pot was going to be legalized all over and turned to brewing to make ends meet.

My LHBS is BrewHardware.com. Known Bobby for a long time. Guessing on-line is a good part of his business, but I try to support his brick and mortar for most of my needs. Great customer service and very knowledgeable. Assume he’s doing well, but will have to ask next time I’m in. There’s always people in there when I visit.

I have recently discovered Bobby and couldn’t agree more.