Length of your boil

Interesting topic because I’ve been focusing less on the length of boil, and more on boil off % recently. I have a steam condenser and an electric kettle that can be adjusted in power from 1-100, and boil off is much lower in this setup. I’m aiming for just enough vigor to hit 4-5% boil off depending on malt type in a 60 minute boil. I find that I get much less darkening of my wort now, especially in light beers like German lagers.

2 Likes

I tried a 30 minute beer, but got into trouble with mash volume. I only brew 15 litre ( 4 gallons) and because you have less boil-off and shouldn’t oversparge, you need to lower your water volume in the mash. That resulted in a thick mash for a low ABV beer and for my Brew Monk it just didn’t fill the kettle enough. The resulting beer was okay, but the efficiency was low. I needed to recalculate my recipes in Brewfather before, which was a bit of a hassle, but after that one brew I decided to reverse back to 60 minute boils again. You can spend the extra half hour cleaning the mashtun ( or mash pipe in my case) and setup the cooling equipment.
When brewing I take all day, the half hour extra time doesn’t other me. Relax, don’t worry, have a home brew.

Mark

P.S. I always run around a lot looking for stuff during brew day and tend to forget to prepare for then next step. I’m working on a step-by-step tick list to help me with that. So you can see I need the extra half-hour :wink: And some home brew to calm me down..

1 Like

Is there a missing link? “According to this”…?

1 Like

My thought as well, I’m sure that’s the case.

I see it now. I think the links aren’t highlighted in a different color, but you can click on the word “this”.

I don’t remember that being clickable before. I think Finn fixed it today maybe.

I haven’t done anything about it, but there’s a clickable link there now. I don’t know what happened; I just used the link-symbol in the ordinary way, i.e. the way it works on my own forum back in Norway:). There the word you mark will get underlined

It looks like there’s a number next to it, maybe the number of clicks? But before anyone clicks there’s no number and you can’t see it. Wonder if this can be changed in forum settings?

What do you guys normally do? I’m quite open to the possibility that there’s something I haven’t understood. It has actually happened before :wink:.

Seems to be. I clicked on it again and it incremented by 1.

Most interesting.

I was in Seattle and Alaska for 10 days and wanted to add to this thread. I thought I had replied earlier but can’t seem to find it. Sorry for being a bit late to the party.

I normally boil for 60 minutes, adding the bittering hops 10 minutes into the boil. If I am making my Dunkles Weiss Beer (aka Dunkleweizen), I boil that for 90 minutes and if brewing my Wee Heavy, I boil for two hours. I never worry about losing post boil volume with longer boils as I am targeting hitting my desired OG. Taking kettle gravity readings before the boil starts is a good way for me to adjust my boil time and adjust the hop addition times to keep the IBU’s constant with my recipe predictions.

2 Likes