Membership Levels?

  1. As a co-moderator of a very large (9000+) discussion list for 14 years, my observation is those people show up on every large list. They also typically resent and will challenge true expertise/leadership. Having dealt with these people for a long time, I know that in RL a number of them will probably have similar issues… I’ve known several to have restraining orders.

  2. I at first assumed a “full member” was an AHA member and couldn’t understand why I was “junior.” I made that assumption because AHA is supporting this board (I’m guessing that for AHA, primarily through member dues) and therefore, a full member was contributing to the board’s upkeep and that other levels referred to the depth of participation, with junior being a fellow traveler who hadn’t written the check to AHA.

I’m ok with seeing how many posts people have as a rough indicator of their participation, but, referring back to #1 and to euge’s post, correlating post frequency with value to the community is not reliable. Someone like Denny is obviously of great value, but as noted above, post frequency could simply refer to a wack jobby with way too much time on his or her hands.

IMO, the best way to deal with the membership level names is just not to take them seriously!

I thought Drew was just trying to be funny when he said it’s “great how sometimes the things you wish for out loud come true”.  ;D

But I guess I’ll be the first to see if I really get to the “Denny Level” status although I will truly never get there because I need to learn how to clear a bar singing “Mustang Sally”.  :smiley:

It’s just fun to be amongst all the great folk here.  :-X

Membership levels are like the hood ornament on a car.  To some people it’s not important. To others it is.

I remember that AMC eventually put a hood ornament on the Pacer.  ;D

I actually did that 20 years ago at the officer’s club at Osan Airbase, with a guy I am friends with to this day. We thought we were great, anyway…

(Now waiting for Denny to announce topic drift… I love being on a list I don’t have to actually manage! :wink: )

Ha!  Good work Drew!  :smiley:

There’s a good reason he’s known as “Super Drew”…oh, wait a minute…

Totally unrelated, but I see we just set a new record for most users online, with 110! Way to go, fellow beer nerds! :wink:

YEAH!

it makes sense on forums open to anyone, but I don’t see the point on a forum where everyone is an AHA member

the membership requirement keeps out the trolls

I don’t think you have to be an AHA Member to use this web-site…I am, but I don’t think you have to be one.

You don’t. The forum is open to everyone. But it serves to bring together the community and the AHA membership as well and that’s a good thing.

– Drew

Open is a good thing in general (source, data, beer recipes…). It might incentivize the AHA membership process if we could have a little badge or something identifying us as AHA members. Or not…whatever, the forum is a good thing.

That’s something that’s been discussed.  There’s a software upgrade due soon and we may be able to implement your idea at that time.