Yep
I couldn’t have used more water. I only know this because I had only 11 gallons of water in jugs. The mystery continues…
Now I’m confusing myself. OK, I think I see why (myself) and others are confused. I added 4.75 gallons of sparge water and SOMEHOW got 5 out! OK, makes sense. Perhaps the gallon jugs were more than a gallon, maybe my bucket measuring marks were off, etc.
The deadspace in my MT is very small, about 1 quart.
Well, dead space is clearly a smaller number than thought, regardless.
I couldn’t have used more water. I only know this because I had only 11 gallons of water in jugs. The mystery continues…
Well that would mean you only lost 1.25 gals or .07 gals /lb to both grain absorption and dead space!
flbrewer:
I couldn’t have used more water. I only know this because I had only 11 gallons of water in jugs. The mystery continues…
Well that would mean you only lost 1.25 gals or .07 gals /lb to both grain absorption and dead space!
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Brain…on fire…must…have… beer. < Best Shatner voice >
My original question was really about how I ended up with 1.5 gallons of wort that I just tossed out. Damn you all for seeing other issues! ;D
My original question was really about how I ended up with 1.5 gallons of wort that I just tossed out. Damn you all for seeing other issues! ;D
Well yes, that’s what we are addressing here. The extra 1.5 gallons has to come from somewhere…unless you have magic malt [emoji16]
So, a total of 2.7ish gallons of loss subtracted from the 6 gallons used to strike = 3.3 gallons of mash runoff. Add 4.75 gallons to sparge, it doesn’t seem like much more than 8 gallons got into his kettle. Except he says he collected 9.5 gallons. :o
exactly…something needs to be reconciled here. either he collected 8 gals or 9.5…if its the later, he may have used more water than called for (by accident) or topped off.
I wonder if he uses a calibrated stick, or if the 8 and 9.5 are WAGs. Yet he says he dumped 1.5 , kept 8 and was .005 OVER his target OG. I think my brain hurts.
No stick. I will however calibrate all of my measured “stuff” before my next brew. Boil kettle, buckets, etc.
So, a total of 2.7ish gallons of loss subtracted from the 6 gallons used to strike = 3.3 gallons of mash runoff. Add 4.75 gallons to sparge, it doesn’t seem like much more than 8 gallons got into his kettle. Except he says he collected 9.5 gallons. :o
exactly…something needs to be reconciled here. either he collected 8 gals or 9.5…if its the later, he may have used more water than called for (by accident) or topped off.
I wonder if he uses a calibrated stick, or if the 8 and 9.5 are WAGs. Yet he says he dumped 1.5 , kept 8 and was .005 OVER his target OG. I think my brain hurts.
No stick. I will however calibrate all of my measured “stuff” before my next brew. Boil kettle, buckets, etc.
Probably somewhere in all that is the answer…you’ll find it bud.
Time for the next batch!
You’re getting there, flbrewer. Just takes practice !
You’re getting there, flbrewer. Just takes practice !
OK, enough said by everyone. I don’t want to fry any brains tonight!