I do it in my BK then add the rest to it. I wonder if late vs early makes much difference. I would lean toward early giving it more time and agitation to get the flavors into the whole mix.
Seeing as I only have one burner, I like that idea Jim! It also seems to give that reduced volume extra time over the flame, even though it will be diluted once added back. I dont see that it could cause problems. I am not making this any time soon, but it is on my list of Must Do’s and I can see doing it this way
It works for me. Though I have no proof that its the best way. I would point out that it means my main mash is sitting there for extra time, so you want to be extra certain that your mash pH is correct, but I don’t see any harm in mashing 90 min vs 60 if it is. Thats about how long it takes my sparge to heat up and about how long it takes to reduce the gallon (the extra 30 min that is)
I utilize my camp stove to reduce the first runnings. Takes almost an entire mini propane tank, but it’s convenient.
Put a two burner camp chef on your Christmas list