1st time using liquid yeast

thanks for the link. yeah i believe that Joy of brewing by Charlie Papazian has a method as well

I think it is even more important for new brewers to use starters.  I don’t believe starters are just for advanced brewer trying to dial in the perfect yeast ester profile in their beer.  One of the biggest concerns with a new brewer is definitely going to be their sanitization practices.  If you pitch a new, inactive vial of yeast, the lag time will be longer than if you pitch an actively growing or fermenting starter.  This allows the yeast to get cranking in your beer MUCH faster, which will serve to protect you from minor errors in sanitization as the yeast will have a better chance of outcompeting other microbes.

I agree. I also like to suggest to new brewers to stick with dry yeast or pitch multiple vials/packs of liquid yeast until they are up to the 15 minute extra task of whipping up a starter. You don’t need a starter with dry yeast and if you are using liquid yeast it is best to pitch a little extra since if you are not making a starter you are almost certainly underpitching and it is usually better to over pitch a little than under pitch.