I think recent opinion has shifted - it’s not “stress” per se that is causing the traditional Brett flavors. It’s just that Saccharomyces produces various esters and precursors that Brett can then bioconvert to other flavor compounds. The effect is the same - a Brett secondary is where you will get the most Brett flavor.
Could be… I have not seen/read/experienced that. I blended a wild culture from my garden with sacch and won 3 1st 2 bests for my SMaSH backyard brett
I simply don’t want too much barnyard. I think you are referring to the Drie, but that seems to be unobtainable.
You have to sit on all brett beers for a long time before the barnyard and other typical brett flavors appear.
brewinhard:
Straight Brett is said to give very low barnyard. I’ve not tasted any traditional Brett flavors in 100% Brett beers
Most of those compounds produced are when the brett is stressed (ie low pitch in a secondary ferment with minimal residual sugars remaining). Most of the 100% brett beers I have done have actually been pretty tame.
I think recent opinion has shifted - it’s not “stress” per se that is causing the traditional Brett flavors. It’s just that Saccharomyces produces various esters and precursors that Brett can then bioconvert to other flavor compounds. The effect is the same - a Brett secondary is where you will get the most Brett flavor.
Yeah, good point. Beginning esters and phenolics allow the brett to break down and change them over time.
My main fear is that this beer (and include some kettle souring) will be at best one dimensional and boring…