That looks like a great solution for storing hops.
Thanks, Bob!
richard:
I would like to buy a vacuum sealer but the “purchasing department” says no. I have tried to sell it as something that can be used for storing and freezing food as well as hops, but that has not been persuasive. The problem is not the cost but the plastic waste generated. I don’t have an answer to that. Purging and resealing may be the answer.
If plastic waste is her argument, you can vacuum seal in canning jars. Many vacuum sealers have ports that you can connect one of these to: https://smile.amazon.com/UUY-Foodsaver-Wide-Mouth-Regular-Mouth-Accessory/dp/B09T3C5F7W/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=OCOZGSX5D5XB&keywords=vacuum+sealer+jar+attachments+for+mason+jars&qid=1660068575&s=home-garden&sprefix=vacuum+sealer+jar+%2Cgarden%2C156&sr=1-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExSUU2WEQwRlNORVBFJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNjczNjI4N1g0Q0s3M05LM1dDJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTAzMDk3MzQxNVhFRlFKVThSRzRTJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
If she decides to bring up cost. there are inexpensive alternatives: https://smile.amazon.com/Regular-Compatible-Machine-Canning-Attachment/dp/B0B174QKV4/ref=sr_1_4?crid=OCOZGSX5D5XB&keywords=vacuum+sealer+jar+attachments+for+mason+jars&qid=1660068667&s=home-garden&sprefix=vacuum+sealer+jar+%2Cgarden%2C156&sr=1-4
Admittedly I hate the plastic waste generated with vacuum sealing, too. Outside of storing hops and cooking sous vide I try to make it the last option for storage. The plastic is resealable and reusable which can help mitigate some of the waste.
In addition to the mason jars, there are vacuum seal bags designed for reuse. They look like ziplocs with resealable enclosures but they have a one way air port to draw out the air. Still plastic but less waste because you never lose part of the bag to waste opening it.
Bob357:
richard:
I would like to buy a vacuum sealer but the “purchasing department” says no. I have tried to sell it as something that can be used for storing and freezing food as well as hops, but that has not been persuasive. The problem is not the cost but the plastic waste generated. I don’t have an answer to that. Purging and resealing may be the answer.
If plastic waste is her argument, you can vacuum seal in canning jars. Many vacuum sealers have ports that you can connect one of these to: https://smile.amazon.com/UUY-Foodsaver-Wide-Mouth-Regular-Mouth-Accessory/dp/B09T3C5F7W/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=OCOZGSX5D5XB&keywords=vacuum+sealer+jar+attachments+for+mason+jars&qid=1660068575&s=home-garden&sprefix=vacuum+sealer+jar+%2Cgarden%2C156&sr=1-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExSUU2WEQwRlNORVBFJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNjczNjI4N1g0Q0s3M05LM1dDJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTAzMDk3MzQxNVhFRlFKVThSRzRTJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
If she decides to bring up cost. there are inexpensive alternatives: https://smile.amazon.com/Regular-Compatible-Machine-Canning-Attachment/dp/B0B174QKV4/ref=sr_1_4?crid=OCOZGSX5D5XB&keywords=vacuum+sealer+jar+attachments+for+mason+jars&qid=1660068667&s=home-garden&sprefix=vacuum+sealer+jar+%2Cgarden%2C156&sr=1-4
Admittedly I hate the plastic waste generated with vacuum sealing, too. Outside of storing hops and cooking sous vide I try to make it the last option for storage. The plastic is resealable and reusable which can help mitigate some of the waste.
In addition to the mason jars, there are vacuum seal bags designed for reuse. They look like ziplocs with resealable enclosures but they have a one way air port to draw out the air. Still plastic but less waste because you never lose part of the bag to waste opening it.
Pretty much any vacuum seal bag can be reused. I do it all the time.
I make the bags extra long and every time I need hops, just a quick cut and re-seal it.
I make the bags extra long and every time I need hops, just a quick cut and re-seal it.
This is what I do as well
I make the bags extra long and every time I need hops, just a quick cut and re-seal it.
This is what I do as well
Yep. Food Saver also sells actual resealable bags, so you don’t even need to do that. Just pull them open and reseal.