Do I need to fill the airlock ?

+1

…except I usually leave the airlock installed on the fermenter without water until the temp has equalized  (overnight) and then pour some starsan solution in the airlock the next day.

i haven’t used airlocks in years, just tinfoil. if i have one i think will blowoff then i use a blowoff tube otherwise…

I hope this method works.  I just pushed in my last rubber cork and the air lock popped right out.  So, while trying to get it back in, I succeeded in pushing the cork into the carboy.  So, tinfoil over the top it is until I free up another cork.

No ones knows the coefficient of thermal expansion for beer wort?  Some experts you guys are!  :wink:

Here in Hawaii we have gnats so small they can get through the pin holes in the bubbler caps on my airlocks.  I always fill my airlocks with vodka.  If you get the level right in the airlock, it will release a (disinfected) bubble before it can suck back into the fermenter.

Well said Tom.  I like it!

Glad you like it :)  It’s not an original saying though, I can’t take credit.

My garden path sentences are usually along the lines of, “S**T! Where did all these weeds come from?!”  :smiley:

not quite same-same, but…

You can tune a piano, but you can’t tuna fish

Like “you can pick your friends” or “you can pick your nose” but  “you can’t pick your friends’ nose”

That would make a great title for an album!

what’s an album?  ;D

Awesome SNL sketch ;D

I’d like to add that for those of us that don’t buy into the CO2 blanket fable  ;D, particularly over the course of time of a primary and secondary fementation which gives plenty of time for oxygen to diffuse down through an open airlock, liquid in an airlock does allow evolving CO2 to dilute and push out oxygen from the fementer.

Edit: During primary I imagine this would be like an open fermentation but with better protection.  But what about after primary is complete?  Do folks who use open fermentation leave their beer to age in open fermenters?  If not, then my comment above would really apply to the time spent after primary fermentation.