I like an ounce or less of fresh grated ginger for about a 20 min. boil. I think it’s best used in a malty, slightly sweet beer. For example, some IPAs I’ve had have too much of a sweet aftertaste I don’t like. This is in spite of very high hop bittering. Just a bit of ginger seems to counteract this, and balance things out.
I brew a lighter ale (SG:1.040) with 1/2 oz of candied ginger added to the boil for the last 12 minutes. I had a little Crystal 10L and a little Cara-pils (1/4lb or so each) if I can remember correctly.
I think it’s great and I have received a ton of requests, mostly from non-beergeek types for more.
I am going to bump it up to SG:1.060 for the next batch but I’ll probably only go a little bit higher on the ginger, too much would be way too much IMO. Actually I think I am going to do a double bath and water 1/2 down to 1.040, it was a really nice lighter session beer to have on tap.
EDIT: I just checked my notes and I was wrong, I used dry ginger root. I am brewing a batch right now with candied ginger and am going to up it to account for the sugar.
I’ve brewed a saison with ginger two different ways (I much peferred the second, so do many within my HBC):
1.) Store-bought candied ginger (harsh, very peppery, noticeable heat-minimal flavor)
http://www.gingerpeople.com/crystallized-ginger/organic-crystallized-ginger-1.html,
even after using it in the BK for 15 minutes and removing it after IC and transfer was complete, the individual cubes were practically too spicy hot to eat. My mouth was on fire! I knew my beer was going to be super spicy, and it was.
and
2.) Using the above recipe (which learned from a professional local brewmaster when we upscaled my recipe on his 7 barrel system).
You could retain more flavor (and spicy heat) if you used less water in the boil (and shorter boil times).
Doing it this way makes the ginger more subtle and flavorful with not as much spicy heat–itblends well with the saison, lends complexity, and does not overwhelm the malt and yeast profiles. The candied sugar just means just a little more fermentables (and more alcohol).
My (sneaky) saison runs 8.5% ABV. But, the alchohol is practically undetectable.
Don’t get me wrong, I like the candied idea and I am going to try it but I grate store bought ginger and add it the last 5 minutes and I don’t get any heat. The ginger is very subtly in the back ground and it works well. I am going to try the candied ginger idea though - sounds like it may give a better flavor.
Clarification regarding making candied ginger: when I say that one can retain more spicy heat and ginger flavor by “using less water in the boil” I mean the amount of water one adds when making/boiling the candied ginger in the skillet.
If sliced or grated, the candied ginger is ideally added to a fresh nylon hop bag and added to the boil kettle for whatever duration you desire. This makes removal easy–especially if you have pumps or big mechanical systems. Since my store-bought candied ginger were diced cubes, I just tossed them in and left them in the BK (they sink to the bottom) as I racked off to the fermenter.
Enjoy!
Do you make the candied ginger in advance of your brewing day or have you found that freshly made candied ginger is the way to go?
I prefer having all supplies and ingredients ready beforehand. Make it the day before, store in an airtight, inert container, and chill in the refrigerator so it is ready to go on brew day. It’ll look like a syrupy marinade all over your ginger slices. It won’t be dried ginger cubes or slices like the store-bought variety.
my only experience with this beloved and mysterious root is using it in accordance with orange zest.
-20 grams of ginger root
-30 grams of orange zest
(both freshly grated and organic, and both at flameout)
both beer geeks and ‘other folk’ are delighted when i bring this around.
I made a porter in which I used 2 cups of grated frresh ginger. It had ginger flavor aftertaste, but not as strong as I wanted. I would like to make a very strong, spicy ginger ale - thinking of using a rye/IPA base. I’m tempted to use ~ 1 pound of ginger. I just saw a mead recipe in zymurgy using 2 pounds ginger. Any thoughts?
Don’t get me wrong, I like the candied idea and I am going to try it but I grate ginger and add it the last 5 minutes and I don’t get any heat. The ginger is very subtly in the back ground and it works well.
This has been my experience as well; using 5 minute additions.
The only other thing that I would add is that I prefer the flavor of peeled/skinned ginger.
I made a porter in which I used 2 cups of grated frresh ginger. It had ginger flavor aftertaste, but not as strong as I wanted. I would like to make a very strong, spicy ginger ale - thinking of using a rye/IPA base. I’m tempted to use ~ 1 pound of ginger. I just saw a mead recipe in zymurgy using 2 pounds ginger. Any thoughts?
Did you add in the secondary? First thought is to add at flameout but maybe a tea in the final product? I like ginger so 2 pounds doesn’t seem out of line to me.