I played in bar bands for years. Then I got a job building some of the first professional digital audio equipment for musicians and studios. Went from that to touring as a tech with big name rock bands. Finished by opening my own studio, which I ran for 30 years. All of those sound like dream jobs to a lot of people, and they all started off great. But eventually, every one of them came down to something I had to do every day whether I felt like it or not. I dunno, maybe it’s just my nature, but it’s made me realize I love beer stuff too much to ever make it a job.
I agree. I tell people that I have already ruined one good hobby by going pro. 30 years ago I enjoyed tinkering with cars. Now they just look like problems.
I often wonder if that’s what a brewing job would turn into.
I don’t know, I just had this conversation with the Mrs. last night. I’d love to open a brew pub. Yes, I know it won’t be just hanging around the bar, pouring beer for appreciative customers, it’ll be long hours, tonnes of cash for licenses, insurance and everything else but I’d still love to give it a try. I’m 40 now and we discussed if this is something that would be worth working towards by the time I’m 45. Would it work out, who knows but man it would be sweet to give it a try. 99.8% chance it won’t happen but why the heck not? If I did it and grew to hate it, sell and go do something else.
p.s. when I type 40, it looks so old. I don’t feel 40. I’m gonna change it to 39+.
I’ll be really interested to hear what Jamil has to say in a year or 2. A good friend went from homebrewer to head brewer at our Rogue local. For the first few months it was total love. One day I walked into the brewery and saw him bottling dozens of cases of root beer by hand (yep, with a Blichmann beer gun!). The thrill was gone…
Yep hoping to find a way to survive in the job long enough to make it to the
greener pastures…ha …ha…ha…relax go fishin, golfin,drivin,do whatever, after you get new knees
man that time just seemed to drag after that last ha… :-\
This has sure been me and Holly’s philosophy after to moving to Idaho, and a big reason we came here. We both worked full time, and had nothing to show for it. Both of us made decent money. She was unhappy being away from her family, and that in turn made my life miserable. So, here we are. Living in the in-laws basement. Holly works part time, and now I do my thing every few weeks back in Ohio. Our bills were cut by more than half, and we still have northing to show. But man are we happy! Life is so stress free now. No worries about paying the bills. Just flip the in-laws a few hundred each month for rent, pay the truck payment, and a couple othe things. Sure, we’ll never be rich, but we never cared about that. We just want to be happy, and have fun. And by George, that’s what we do now. I LOVE MY LIFE!!! sure, I know someday it will come to a screeching halt. By for now, I’m soaking it all in. And, when I have to go back to a real job, and real life, I can’t complain, cause it’s been on hell of a vacation!! 8)
Tubercle’s B.S. in Business Mgt has paid off many times but more so in personal affairs than in the workforce.
While applying for jobs through out the years the college degree got the cold shoulder; employers want to know what you can do for them now, not potentially.
A degree does show you are trainable and can finish what you started though.
As someone else here said, I like working I just hate my job.