BrewBama
(Dwain)
March 30, 2021, 3:37pm
21
If you got a lot of Krausen into the blow off, then I would replace it with a clean air lock when fermentation settled down. Maybe that’s unnecessary and I’m just being too anal, but I would prefer the clean air lock in this situation.
That’s cool. I like to solve problems as they arise. Cause and Effect: i develop a plan and IF something comes up, THEN I address it.
In this case I might clean the tube or just let it go (if everything else is fine) until i clean the fermenter. All depends where i am in the process.
I have had blowoff more times than i can count. A brush and water cleans it right up.
I have had a tube block once because the ID was too small. I increased the tube ID to eliminate that issue.
Listing to all you guys I am willing to be they just wanted to sound smart. Every hobby has them
TechBrew
(Richard)
March 30, 2021, 4:49pm
23
I used Starsan in my airlock for a while, but with a vigorous fermentation the sanitizer would bubble and get pushed out of the airlock and it would start to go empty. I got tired of refilling it, so I just use clean water now.
denny
(denny)
March 30, 2021, 5:18pm
24
richard:
I used Starsan in my airlock for a while, but with a vigorous fermentation the sanitizer would bubble and get pushed out of the airlock and it would start to go empty. I got tired of refilling it, so I just use clean water now.
Same here…started with vodka, went to Starsan, now water (unless I already have Starsan mixed up). Haven’t seen any difference.
deckerhand
(deckerhand)
March 30, 2021, 10:42pm
25
How would hard water be in a airlock. I got hard water by me. When I brew I use Poland Spring since it says it has low ph and I like how it taste
BrewBama
(Dwain)
March 31, 2021, 2:54am
26
The water in a blowoff jar doesn’t matter. I use the sanitizer I sanitized the fermenter with just prior to transferring the wort into it. But I have used tap water as well.
Dwain:
The water in a blowoff jar doesn’t matter. I use the sanitizer I sanitized the fermenter with just prior to transferring the wort into it. But I have used tap water as well.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Cleaning/sanitizing I’ll use my tap water. Brewing its porn springs water.
fredthecat:
sounds spicy
Sorry meaning Poland springs water I hate auto spell
goose
(goose)
March 31, 2021, 1:44pm
30
Dwain:
[emoji106] An airlock is an airlock, whether a plastic bubbler or a hose stuck in a jar. I see no advantage to changing near the end.
If you’re going to open your fermenter do it while there’s still yeast activity so the yeast can cleanup any O2 you’ve introduced.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Not only that, but you have a large blanket of CO2 on top of the beer so you will be OK.
BrewBama
(Dwain)
March 31, 2021, 1:58pm
31
[emoji106] Left undisturbed I would agree there is a blanket of CO2 on top of the wort/beer.
However, as soon as the turbulence from opening the fermenter stirs the air with CO2, that blanket is mixed up.
Add hops by pouring them into the liquid or throwing in a hop bag and more mixing occurs.
The active yeast will push the mixture out the blowoff and if any O2 was inadvertently introduced to the liquid they will consume it.
Dwain:
[emoji106] Left undisturbed I would agree there is a blanket of CO2 on top of the wort/beer.
However, as soon as the turbulence from opening the fermenter stirs the air with CO2, that blanket is mixed up.
Add hops by pouring them into the liquid or throwing in a hop bag and more mixing occurs.
The active yeast will push the mixture out the blowoff and if any O2 was inadvertently introduced to the liquid they will consume it.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I haven’t done any dry hopping yet I honestly don’t know why people use a hop sack when hops are a natural disinfectant and will not cause any infections to the beer if they sink to the bottom it’s not going to case any plugging issues. Tho I would cold crash to have all the hop floaters sync to the bottom with the trub
BrewBama
(Dwain)
March 31, 2021, 2:23pm
33
[emoji2369] Everyone has their own reasons for doing what they do.