Just measured a grain free room temp mash pH as usual. Both times for the disparaged readings.
??? What …I’m not understanding.
Sorry. Both readings I took were grain free, clear wort, measured at room temperatures for mash pH.
brewinhard:
Just measured a grain free room temp mash pH as usual. Both times for the disparaged readings.
??? What …I’m not understanding.
Sorry. Both readings I took were grain free, clear wort, measured at room temperatures for mash pH.
Got it!
I strongly caution against chasing mash pH. If you have used a reliable mashing chemistry calculator, the pH is more likely to be within a tenth or two of your target. In addition, I’ve found that mashing pH consistently tends to correct itself toward a pH of about 5.4. So if you measure an overly low pH, it will rise during the mash duration. And the opposite occurs if the early pH was too high.
This seems to confirm the RDWHAHB mantra.
Sometimes it does move towards 5.4, and sometimes it doesn’t. I’m not sure at all why but I’ve experienced it staying right about where it measured after 10 minute reading.
Half of me just wants to wait to take a reading with 10 minutes left in the mash. I mean, if I am not going to make any corrections, then why rush around to get to a reading after only 10-15 min. into the mash?
Half of me just wants to wait to take a reading with 10 minutes left in the mash. I mean, if I am not going to make any corrections, then why rush around to get to a reading after only 10-15 min. into the mash?
I almost always take a reading at 10mins and then take reading of first running. Interesting to see if it stays about the same or shifts as described in previous posts.
brewinhard:
Half of me just wants to wait to take a reading with 10 minutes left in the mash. I mean, if I am not going to make any corrections, then why rush around to get to a reading after only 10-15 min. into the mash?
I almost always take a reading at 10mins and then take reading of first running. Interesting to see if it stays about the same or shifts as described in previous posts.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
So, initial reading after only 10 min in mash, followed by first runnings reading? Have you noticed discrepancies between the two?
brewinhard:
Half of me just wants to wait to take a reading with 10 minutes left in the mash. I mean, if I am not going to make any corrections, then why rush around to get to a reading after only 10-15 min. into the mash?
I almost always take a reading at 10mins and then take reading of first running. Interesting to see if it stays about the same or shifts as described in previous posts.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
So, initial reading after only 10 min in mash, followed by first runnings reading? Have you noticed discrepancies between the two?
Sometimes, yes…sometimes no. That’s the perplexing issue at hand.