I like several of their beers. My wife and I used to hit their brewpub here on a regular basis although it’s a bit of a haul from our house. The service started to go downhill and the menu changed to take away all our favorites in favor of a more generic menu. I rarely open the emails I get from them but when I do I always see them talking about brewing IPAs and other beers clearly deviating away from their focus on German beers (plus the Czech pilsner). I might have to get a growler of winterbrau next time I’m in the area.
I have to say Smoky Mountain Brewery, I get as much as my wife will let me take out of there every time we go to Gatlinburg, TN. It is a good time to stop by in the afternoon, drink a few and go through the shops with the Mrs. My personal favs are the Cherokee Red Ale and Tuckaleechee Porter. Very solid beers. All the years I have been stopping through Gatlinburg the brews never disappoint me.
Get me some Fullers ESB… 8) (i know wrong continent)
I recently stumbled on a sixpack of Stegmaier Porter (Pennsylvania)…I was surprised to see it, since the last time I had it was more than 40 years ago. These days it’s brewed at The Lion in Wilkes Barre, PA…and it’s fantastic (and a real bargain, too). It’s ‘chewier’ than the other famous PA porter (from Yuengling) and quite nice.
I actually prefer the old timey PA porters from these two brewers over most craft brewer porters (except perhaps for Anchor Porter…which is still a real gem).
I still love that stuff, too. Very tasty beer.
I’ve been really impressed by the beers from Six Rivers Brewing out of McKinleyville, CA (Northern coast).
They have a Raspberry Lambic (ish) that I really enjoy, and a ‘double IPA’ called Sasquatch, that is amazing. I get so much salted caramel out of it, that I have a hard time thinking of it as a DIPA, it’s one of the best beers I’ve had. I really need to plan a trip up that way to try more of their offerings.
I’m not sure if they’ve made it across the Atlantic, but lately I’ve been enjoying beers from a brewery called Magic Rock in Huddersfield (West Yorkshire). The only one I’ve not been a fan of has been their IIPA, Human Cannonball, which I found a little too bitter for my taste (although it smelt amazing).
Woinemer Hausbrauerie. http://www.woinemer-brauerei.de/
I’ve spent many an evening there back when the wall came down. Great beers and great food.
I love the Brown Ales from Carson’s Brewery in Evansville, Indiana.
Brown Cow
Buzzed Cow- their Brown Cow infused with coffee.
Vanilla Brown Coffee.
All are 5% ABV and taste fantastic in the taproom.