I like traditional hefeweizens so prefer the German style route. My malt bill is 30% pils and 70% wheat malt. Noble hops. Decoction and a 90 minute boil. In a pinch WB-06 over Munich dry yeast but only because I get too much phenolic character from the Munich. Stick to liquid yeast. Plan on drinking it young for best results IMO.
I am very skilled at drinking my beer young. Why the long boil for this style? I know pilsner malt has a lot of DMS precursors but I’m doing less than 50% pils. Does the wheat have the same issue?
Both German origin, but the 320 is the Zum Uerige altbier yeast that was carried back to Widmer, and after makeing the Widmer Hefe for all those years is very powdery. Not a clove producer, lacking the POF gene. Zum Ueriges yeast is the Wyeast 1007 = WLP-036, which is a very clean top fermenter.
That is a good question! I don’t know. As far as the boil is concerned it could be less but I always wait until I see a good break before I add any first addition of hops. Usually that takes 20-30 minutes for me then I start the clock for the hops.
First post, but I have been stalking the forums for a little time, but I wanted to ask about everyone’s take of adding rice hulls to the mash? I know most people have mentioned malted wheat, but some have mentioned flaked wheat, so I wanted to pose the question as to what percentage of wheat (flaked or otherwise) that you would consider adding rice hulls to firm up the grain bed?
Second question sorry. For those who have high percentages of wheat in the grain bill are you adding yeast nutrients to your mash/fermentation? I am unclear as to the composition of wheat to barley inregards to FAN, protiens, etc.
I tried a wheat for our first all grain and it was not very good, and that probably caused me to avoid it for a couple years, but I am re-attacking they style because its one of my wife and my favorite summer styles. Thanks for all your help!
I start my sparge with no rice hulls, if it goes very slowly I’ll stir the hulls in, otherwise I leave them out.
To the OP I brew a hefe with 40% wheat and it’s pretty good, I like to ferment cool and get the clove flavor. Right now I have a wheat IPA in the fermenter with Perle for bittering, Cascade late additions and I’ll dry hop with Amarillo. Wheat is a great brewing grain, there’s so much that can be done with it.
I wanted to report back because this came out fantastic. Went with 50% Belgian oils/white wheat, hallertau/saaz, weihenstephan yeast, did a ferulic acid rest at 111, started germ at 63 let rise to 72 ish after 4 days. Beautiful color with classic haze and a luxurious head. Malty bit also slight tart and refreshing. Great clove banana balance. Must make more this summer.