Oh, those wacky Oregonians

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/12/06/AR2010120604193.html?hpid=moreheadlines

"What’s in a name? Man goes from Smith to Awesome

The Associated Press
Monday, December 6, 2010; 5:30 PM

EUGENE, Ore. – An Oregon man has had an Awesome name change. Douglas Allen Smith Jr. says he changed his name to Captain Awesome last month because he was inspired by the nickname of a character on the NBC television show “Chuck” - Dr. Devon “Captain Awesome” Woodcomb. The unemployed Eugene cabinet installer says he found it funny Woodcomb’s father gave him that nickname because a “poor nickname builds good character.” The former Mr. Smith says he faced a Lane County judge who questioned his seriousness. The judge that granted the request made him swear he wasn’t changing his name for fraudulent reasons. Awesome says that judge also allowed him to sign his name as a right arrow, a smiley face and a left arrow.  He says his bank, however, has refused to accept the signature because it could be forged too easily.
"

“Mr. Sad, Lonely Man…paging Mr. Sad, Lonely Man.  Please report to the customer service desk to pick up a life”  :P

I’m changing my name to Gern Blanston.  ( Bonus points to you if you can tell me where this name comes from without googling it ).

I once knew a girl who changed her name to Commander Data.

I once knew a girl that changed my name to “That A$$hole”.

I know its Steve Martin…thats all I can remember about it…

Correct…in one of his standup routines, he said it was his real name.

You have won…the right to change your name to whatever you want.

That story on our local news was preceded by one about a guy who had changed his name to Mr. Ooh La La…those guys make ME look normal!

I think I found the guy’s picture:

images.jpg

Unemployed cabinet installer. Unemployed. Unemployed. Probably deranged. The judge should have made him come back in a month.

Funny. I was just discussing at work changing my name to it’s diminutive. Rarely does anyone get my name right over the phone and even in person. I’m constantly referred to as C-jay, T-jay and E-jay. One woman who I’ve talked to hundreds of times (and I introduce myself every time) still calls me C-jay! I gave up.

On the flip side when trouble comes calling they didn’t really get my name did they? I don’t know who you spoke with- there’s no T-jay working here ma’am…  :wink:

Capt. Awesome sounds like a world-class idiot, but no-one’s gonna get his name wrong.  ;D