State of the Forum

As far as the aspect of sticking to the original question, I agree and feel bad when the OP, especially when they are new to brewing, don’t get good responses and even worse listen to some here air their oxygen free dirty laundry. OTOH sometimes derails are fun and useful. I say as long as the OP isn’t disrespected a derail can be OK and adds to a conversational tone.
As far as the aspect of civility goes I just wish people on both sides of an issue would be more respectful at the same time not be too thin skinned.

Yeah, Happy Together is a great song.

I’ve been reading here quite a long time and Narvin is right.  It’s no worse.  I realized a long while back that if the poster didn’t get an answer to his specific question within the first page, he wasn’t going to get one.

I don’t see adding advanced techniques to such a post is in and of itself a bad thing though. More knowledge isn’t an issue if it may help the OP, even if only in the long run.

However, if that’s the case, I would agree it would best to say “well ideally you’d do x, but in the meantime try y.” For example, somebody complaining about oxidation in a dry Irish stout may be told that low oxygen is the ultimate solution, but in the meantime, just try spunding. (Of all the low exygen techniques, this is the one that I really don’t understand why it isn’t common practice…)

But I digress…though I tried to still relate it to the topic at hand…  ;D

Again, I agree, Phil. After spunding a couple batches, I’m sold. Totally solves the oxidation from kegging issue. Very noticeable difference, especially on longevity of hop aromas in dry hopped beers. It’s low oxygen packaging and works great. By no means saying my beer is better than anyone’s.  ;D

How about scheduling?  With my life there’s very little chance I could do spunding.

Same. I’m trying a kinda hybrid approach. I’m going to add primings, probably more than I need, and maybe some dry US-05to make sure that I’ve got active yeast as quickly as possible. We’ll see how it works, at any rate it shouldn’t be worse than simply keg conditioning.

It’s tricky to hit perfectly at 4 points over FG when you have to work. I kegged the lagers at day 5 and the IPA on day 4, and got both mostly carbed. I think the best attribute though is having active yeast to scavenge the O2 fron the keg.

You guys are colossally derailing here.  :slight_smile:

Outta control.  ;D.  Totally my bad.

This is why the mere mention of the term “low oxygen” needs to be handled with EXTREME care, every single damn time.

I think most posters on this forum treat threads as conversations…we act like we’re all standing around talking. The issue is OP isn’t standing next to us and we just kinda forget they’re there…

the OP is that rando that just walked up while we were playing darts.

Work and travel.  One of many reasons the whole LODO procedure is nothing I’m interested in.  It just doesn’t fit my life and the way I like to brew.

Uh… anybody know where we can find a moderator?  :wink:

Sure…what’s the problem?

You’re serious, too, aren’t you.  Alright then!  :-X

It kind of feels that way.  I wonder if the AHA has any data by which to quantify.

This is the only forum I am active on any longer.  I used to really like the NB forum, but I couldn’t hang after the last format change.  There were some good people over there who I wish had made the jump to here though.

r/homebrewing is pretty active, and it seems like there are a lot of newer brewers over there.

It’s odd that everything is so fragmented.  Even within the set of AHA members, those active on this forum are a very small minority (visually quite apparent at the forum meetup at the NHC, especially in 2015).

Very much so.  I hope you weren’t implying that expressing an opinion should be off limits.

(I think Dave was trying to keep us all on the OP’s original topic, not the low oxygen rabbit hole.  ;))

I have to be honest I saw the LODO post and never even read it. Need to keep things as simple as i can.