Turning Scottish?

They looked insanely comfortable, though.

Exactly. But you know how it is in the Midwest - it’s either cold enough that you need FULL length sweat pants, or warm/hot enough you want to wear something cool. Oh well, I’ve bought dumb things that cost more than that !

I guess to keep the color right and not make it too nutty my UK version would be 9lbs GP and 2 lbs Brown.

Thanks Jim.  I’m definitely going to revisit a Scottish Ale soon.  I brewed one late last year mainly because I have Scottish roots, but I really enjoyed brewing it, and people said they really liked it.  I like to have two beers on tap - an IPA and a good bridge-beer for the BMC / Blue Moon / Shock Top drinkers in my life.  So this style will be in my regular rotation.  Now I’m on to nailing the exact recipe and process (which is why I asked for you recipe).

We are identical in most aspects of the recipe (including the wort reduction process) with the exception of part of the grain bill.  Please give me your thoughts on what I had planned for the next iteration:

9.5 Lbs. Golden Promise
2 oz. Roasted Barley (300 SRM)

Malts are the area of brewing that I am least knowledgeable in.  I don’t know what I am trading in terms of flavor going this route as opposed to yours.  (Hurry up Malt book!)

Thanks!

I think that would be fine, the 300L might bring that smokey thing to mind for some people.

I have a couple theories on Scottish smokiness.  One is that somebody got a hold of a Scottish made in France, where they believed they should have scotch peat malt in it. Another is that its hard to kill a rumor, so now there are thoughts that kettle carmelizing causes it, or 1728 has a smoke phenolmenon. I think its actually the power of suggestion crossed with other near-smoke-like flavors. Case in point, Zainashefs award winner, non-kettle-carmelizing 70/- has no smoke malt, and he used chico yeast. The Scottish smokiness must have come from imagining munich crystal and pale chocolate as smoky. That or the judges understood its not necessary

FWIW, I’ve always heard smokiness discussed in relation to wee heavies, but not the lower gravity Scottish ales.

I just like the new word, “phenolmenon.”

Yep, it’s a doozy!

I almost pulled the trigger on the Duluth Trading cargo sweats. Then I came to my senses.

Jim I’ll be waiting for the “haggis” thread on Everything Food.

My people for sure!

What I want to know: where is the caber?

I was going to compete in the scottish heavy athletics this year but I have to say, the caber toss scared the heck out of me. something visceral, I could imagine the but of that tree trunk coming up and catching me right under the chin. Lights out I imagine.

For whatever the reason the weight for height was not as scary.