I am brewing a stout with dried cherries. When I tried it before, I added them to the fermenter and infected my beer. Since it is 4 pounds of them, I think it would be very difficult to try to disinfect them, and I believe all the nooks and crannies would resist that anyway. I’ve thought about taking it straight out of the kettle onto them, but I want to be careful that I don’t get a vegetal taste. Any recommendations ? Thanks.
I think you could sub the dried for cherry concentrate. Something that is kept cold without any preservative. A farmers market is where I have purchased before.
Assuming you already have the 4 pounds of fruit, heat is your friend. Add them to the wort when the temperature is between 140 and 160. I think anything over that will create pectins and you probably don’t want that.
As a follow on to Jeffy’s comment regarding temperature. I often bag fresh fruit for brewing and then pasteurize in that temperature range using a sous vide cooker. Then, I transfer to muslin bags and toss them in the fermenter. This is all done near the end of the primary fermentation.
I have some excellent farms within 20 minutes for berries, so I can go from the bush to the fermenter in a couple of hours. I haven’t brewed with cherries yet.
Thanks for the replies.
I just bottled a tart cherry cider that used tart cherry juice. ![]()
![]()
Really depends if the added cherries are done to ferment or flavor.
They’re for flavor.
OK, for flavor, ensure no more fermentation and add cherries to secondary.
Or, don’t worry about a bump in ABV and add to secondary (without ensuring no more fermentation).
I’ve found pure tart cherry juice helps me (hurting muscles) after a 40 mile bicycle ride. Mix as directed.
I need to keep the tart cherry juice in mind for my next Cherry Wheat brew.