You are experiencing a long lag. Probably because of no starter and the viability is low. You should see something soon.
Thank euge I will keep a eye and ear out for it to start.
Last batch I could here my fermenter burping so I knew it was working.
Order some new dried yeast - if fermentation starts before it arrives, you can keep it in the fridge for months. If it’s not started and vigorous, you can pitch the new yeast.
What dry yeast would be best or equivalent to Wyeast 3944.
Ah, I forgot you were using 3944. The answer is “nothing”, at least not that I know. But you could use S33 to get a beer that wouldn’t be exactly what you wanted but still fermented. I always keep S05 and S04 on hand, which doesn’t help for a wit but would be better than nothing.
Yep, all my seraching found nothing for a Belgian wit.
There is the Safbrew T-58 which ive read is good with Belgian recipes.
Yep, all my seraching found nothing for a Belgian wit.
There is the Safbrew T-58 which ive read is good with Belgian recipes.
Yes, T58 might be even better than S33 for making a wit, I’ve never used either so I can’t speak from experience. Depending on what kinds of beers you usually make, that could be a good one to keep on hand.
Despite what the manufacturer says, I’ve found nothing even vaguely “Belgianish” about S-33. T-58 makes a pretty decent wit, though.
Good to know, thanks D.
Okay, I haven’t seen this asked, so I’ll ask it. Have you taken a gravity reading? You say you’re using a bucket and sometimes the seal on buckets are not the tightest and CO2 escapes from them without the brewer realizing it.
Okay, I haven’t seen this asked, so I’ll ask it. Have you taken a gravity reading? You say you’re using a bucket and sometimes the seal on buckets are not the tightest and CO2 escapes from them without the brewer realizing it.
I havent, with this being only my 2nd batch brewed I was looking for the same signs of my 1st batch. I could here it burping and when I shined a light through the bucket I could see the foam forming.
I will take a reading and see if its changed from the starting/orignal gravity.
Thanks Denny on the confirmation of Safbrew T-58. Thats what im going to use if I need to repitch. Going to by several varieties to keep in stock.
3944 is probably the slowest-fermenting yeast there is. Combined with under-pitching, you could still have nothing to worry about, as long as your sanitation is good. A gravity reading should definitely be the next step.
Also, sorry if this is obvious, but the date on the pack is the manufacture date, not an expiration date.
All is good Chaps.
We are fermenting!
All is good Chaps.
We are fermenting!
Excellent!
Now be patient and watch for the Krausen to fall and the beer to clear then take a gravity reading. This may take as much as 7-10 days.