It really doesn’t matter. If you want to see it’s viable, give it an hour or two. You’ll probably see something by the time you are done with the starter and have it cooled. What is the date on the pack?
November 20, 2013. I thought you had to wait 24-36 hours…will it be a problem if I wait another 12 hours or so to add to the starter?
The idea of waiting (maybe up to 6 hours) is to wake up the yeast in a sugar and nutrient solution. Well, the starter is just a large version of what is inside the pack (minus the nutrients).
EDIT: Unless you add yeast nutrient…
Thinking ahead to later this evening, do I need to place an airlock on my 1 gallon carboy for this starter, or just leave a aluminum foil cover (rubber band secured) on it?
I would use a loose aluminum cover without the rubber band so when you swirl it you add fresh Oxygen.
Remember, you don’t want to do this with your beer, but with a starter you are concerned with making yeast not beer. You will hear this phrase a lot…
Thanks David. So I don’t have to use an airlock or blowoff at any point for this starter?
correct, no airlock, you want air and you don’t want it to blow off (that’s yeast being blown off!) so make sure there is plenty of head space (like fill the 1 gallon jug half way)
and just to be totally clear The starter stays out on the counter (or a warmish place, in the 70s if possible) until a day before you brew the actual beer. It only goes in the fridge then. so if you make the starter tonight and you brew Saturday pop the starter in the fridge Friday as David suggested
One the volume of DME I would aim for ~ 1/2 cup per quart of water. figure a cup of DME is close to flour in consistency and flour is right around 6 oz per cup and you want about 3 ounces per quart to get in the ballpark of 1.040
I use the calculator at brewers friend
It works on iPhone. All the other calculators do not work on iPhone.
Sometimes brewing beer is a bear! What a night, I don’t think I ever activated my pack properly, re-smacked at around 9 PM, seems good now. Also, accidentaly dipped my DME/water mixture into my ice bath so drain poured the whole thing.
I’ll try again in the morning, hoping it’s not an issue waiting 8 hours or so w. the yeast activated.
FWIW, settled on 1 cup of DME to 2 quarts of water. Thanks to morticaixavier for the messages!
glad to help. It’ll be fine to wait.
Yeah you can wait no problem… Technically when making a starter you don’t have to smack the pack at all. I typically skip it with mine.