How do yall buy grain?

Yeah, but the oktoberfest recipe is $26.  I’m just trying to  compare apple to apples.
http://www.midwestsupplies.com/oktoberfest-lager-all-grain-kit.html

I’m running ~70% efficiency on my HERMS rig with their grind. I’m happy.  I love the ease of firing up the HLT, then simply cutting open a bag.  It’s like buying kits, but they’re my recipes.  They have free shipping on orders over $100, and since I’m in OK, that usually translates to 3rd business day.

How do y’all buy grain?  Usually with my credit card.

OK, in fact I buy bags of grain from the local shops in my area.  Specialty grains I will get 4-5 lbs. at a go so I have it on hand.  Unusual stuff I will get 1 lb. at a time.  There is enough in the garage to do the lager blitz that I am on, plus some big and stong ales.

The freezer is full of hops.  All set there.

I buy Pilsner, American 2-row and Maris Otter by the sack. I’m going to add Munich to that list. I was buying Munich 5 lbs at a time. Then I went to 10 lbs. I’m using so much now that a full sack makes sense to buy.  It’s not just that it saves money. Having it on hand at all times is handy.

I buy specialty malts one to five pounds at a time. I store them in two large Rubbermaid totes. Occasionally I’ll spill something when taking it out of the tote, or when scrounging through the bags. All the little spills are building up on the bottom of the totes. Once I hit 3 lbs  I’m going to throw it in with 10 pounds of base malt and brew it. I’m a little afraid, though. What if it turns out great?  I’ll never be able to replicate it.  :cry:

When I worry about that I just make a super strong beer so I can horde it if it turns out really good. I may never be able to replicate it but I can enjoy drinking it for the next 10+ years!

Yes…but you’ll probably have 5 tasty gallons of mystery beer.  :slight_smile:

i store a lot of my grains in those plastic barrels that bulk pretzels come in., i usually only buy 10 pounds of a variety at a time.

I have found buying in bulk saves a ton of money and if you start making some of your own specialty malts you can save even more and add that personal touch to your beer. Storage isn’t a problem as I get 4.5 gallon buckets from walmart or safeway for free and they store and stack quite nicely. As it stands right now with buying in bulk and making a lot of my own specialty grains it costs me about $10 to make a five gallon batch of Imperial stout but if I buy it from the brew shop it costs around 30. But than I also grow my own hops as well so that cuts cost as well. Add yeast washing to the mix and you can take one yeast pack and turn it into about 18. All this costs one thing  TIME so it totally depends on what you are willing to put into it and how much space you have. If you want to save some money buy in bulk, if you want to save some more money do some research and spend some time with your craft.  ;D