Yeah, I don’t remember the guy’s name, but he owned about half the restaurants in Larimer Square (kind of posh neighborhood downtown). He always gets “managing owners” to go in with him on the projects, to keep his name out of the spotlight, so people don’t realize it’s the same guy bankrolling all these different projects.
I’m surprised the guy you know could turn them around so quickly, but I believe it.
Pete - I really hope we haven’t scared you off. It’s easy to hit a wall and shut down. You need to power through it, and make yourself and your project better.
A couple weeks ago, I had a large project in my cost accounting class where I made a variable-costing flexible budget for a manufacturing company (cash disbursements, expenses, pro forma income statements and balance sheets). Here’s a small sample of the feedback I got from my prof on my first draft:
“Your formatting is terrible. Get rid of it. You are over purchasing by ignoring beginning inventory. You ignore accounts payable in cash disbursements. Again your format is bad. You missed depreciation in the S&A budget. So the budget is incomplete and that also throws off your cash budget. Again the cash budget is poorly formatted and incorrect. Remember this is more than just put it down. It has to communicate the details.”
I had invested a ton of time and effort into the project, so this came as a gut punch to me. But, I realized he was right that it was terrible. So I threw the whole thing out, and started over from scratch. My prof said the finished draft looked “very professional.”
One of the most important concepts in business decision-making is the idea of “sunk costs.” The amount of time/effort/cash invested in a project is gone whether you continue with the project or not. It should have no impact on whether you should finish the project or scrap it and start over. Wherever you are, it’s where you’re going that matters, not where you’ve been. The worst thing you can do is let your vanity and ego prevent you from realizing (and correcting) your shortcomings.
This in not to the topic.
After yesterday beerfest that I samples a dozen if local breweries I have correct t my opinion.
There is about half breweries that are making unmemorable to bad beers.
I was quite desipointed about it. Most of these breweries are new breweries.
I hate to sound jaded, Leos, but I’m right there with you. There are a lot of startups in the Twin Cities that are making very good beer, but there are definitely some whose product just doesn’t cut it. I’ve had your Czech Pils, Czech Dark and Vienna, and can safely say that you are making an incredible product. So, I guess take heart in that!
I think you need to put your bug on a hop or tuft of grain.
I also think the bug would work if it’s cute and had a personality, but you don’t want it to appeal to children.
I think you should develop a hybrid of #1 and #2.
#1 but drop the black box and just have the bug… If I was sitting in a bar/tap house or the like and saw a big ass bug on a tap handle I would have to ask about it and try it… Just because its a bug and its odd!! Most breweries names have nothing to do with beer… Their associated with a place, persons name or theme… Delirium has a pink elephant !!! Its makes you wonder, taste and if its good you drink more! So if your beer is good you could call it Moose Snot Brewing and make money ;D!!
Im not a pro brewer, and a very new poor amature one!! But Im a great beer drinker!!! 8)