I’m curious what lighting setups people are using around their brewing areas.
I’ve been thinking about how much difference good lighting makes when you’re working around kettles, checking equipment and cleaning up, particularly in a basement or dedicated brew space where the general room lighting isn’t always ideal.
Do people tend to use overhead lighting, task lights, or a combination of both? I’ve also wondered whether LED strip lighting mounted under shelves or around a work area is useful for getting more even light without creating too much glare.
For those who have set up a dedicated brewing space, what type of lighting have you found works best? And are there any issues with moisture, heat or cleaning that are worth considering when choosing the lighting?
When I was designing my workshop, I reviewed recommendations for Lumens per sq ft based on the room usage and then figured out how many of the fixtures I needed based on the fixture Lumen output. I didn’t have under shelf lighting and that wasn’t a consideration for my room setting. But the bottom line is that Lumens/ sq ft is how you make sure there’s enough light in the room for its intended use.
I have under-cabinet LEDs in my kitchen that I like because the overhead light can result in shadows when I’m working in certain places. My brew space doesn’t have them but maybe someday it will.
Man, I’m such a computer guy that despite my garage/brewery/office having 6 can lights and 3 pendents I usually just work by the light coming in the windows.
I installed motion activated LED shop lights in my garage (before I began brewing there). It’s nice they turn on and off automatically, luckily I’m active enough when I brew that they stay on.