Logo Feedback

Personally I keep seeing a lady bug and they just don’t convey big bug in my world.

I liked #1 best for visual appeal and transfer to marketing products but I just don’t see big bug at all…maybe that’s what will make it work,)

SHAZAM!! That is way more feedback than I was expecting and I love it. I appreciate everyone being so willing to share their opinions with us!

First, I’d like to thank “anthony” for posting the images directly to this thread for those who don’t have facebook. (sorry to the rest for not doing that myself. I just liked the idea of having feedback on facebook so I could easily look at likes and comments on each individual logo without having to parse the comments out myself)

Second, I’d like to clarify where in the design phase we are. This is currently a “first pass”. I am working with a professional designer and these are basically the rough draft for where we could be headed. Once we choose a logo (or not) from this set we will be working with our designer to get revisions made and make bring the logos up to a professional level. I should have clarified this in my initial post but wasn’t expecting nearly the response we got! Very exciting.

Third, if you one logo or parts of a logo jump out to you please let us know. We can work with our designer to incorporate any of the feedback we get. Ideas for how to modify these logos for the better are greatly appreciated!!

Also, just some FYI for those who were looking for more info on our brewery in planning
www.bigbugbrewing.com

@bigbugbrewing

Thanks again for your help! I am pumped about the amount of feedback we received. Even the facebook debate part :wink:

Cheers,
Pete

Just looked at your blog for a second and noticed you were in Champaign. Did you make it down to my brewery in Savoy or just Destihl and the Blind Pig? I am guessing I was out of town at the time for the Craft Brewers Conference in DC.

I think Facebook is so yesterday. Twitter is the new cool kid. But the real coolness is just not having any of it. If Oden wanted us to tweet he would have given is beaks

“Friends don’t let friends drink bad beer”

Anthony,
Sadly we didn’t make it to you’re brewery. If I had known about it a month ago we certainly would have stopped by! We actually found the other two breweries in Champagne by luck while trying to find a hotel. I just watched your video on kickstarter. Congratulations on getting your brewery up and running!!

Cheers!
Pete

ps do you know why they call it Destihl?

For the record, I think companies SHOULD have a presence on facebook.  But you still need to have a website, and you should not assume that all of the customers you are trying to attract use facebook.

I realize that they are a first wash, but still stand by my assertion that they are all a little to “cutesy”, which would make me not recognize it as a beer company. First one is less cute of them all and I like the type treatment best and it would look good on swag and represents a good branding image, with some tightening up, if course.

The designs all have a feminine touch to them IMO, would like them to be a bit more masculine or neutral.

This wasn’t a direct reference to you; just a generalized statement regarding what I’ve sensed is the overall opinion of this forum. All I was trying to say was instead of people throwing up their arms and going “ahhh stupid facebooks”, they should realize it’s an incredibley useful tool if utilized correctly. I realize the demographic of this board… ahem, has more life experience- so I understand the viewpoint. I’m just trying to provide a bit of info, that’s all.

And I completely agree about the website portion.

I completely agree. If you’re going to have a non-relevant logo, it needs to have a good story, or be a really good logo. Left Hand is a good example of a distinct, easily-identified logo that’s not brewery-related but has a story.

Apple logo has a “byte” out of it, Twitter has a little bird, etc. I could maybe see “Big Bug” being a name for an all-wild fermentation brewery. But it’s kind of a terrible name and I’d change it before you sink a lot of money/effort into the brand.

I think the name of the brewery itself is a problem. It’s probably the worst name I’ve heard for a brewery, beating out my previous worst “DC Brau Brewing Company.” At least that name is relevant to the place and product, though it’s also sort of gibberish.

You don’t like DC brau?  Different strokes, I guess, but for the first brewery in the city in over 50 yeast I think it’s a pretty strong brand.

I like the can…but it seems more like a Soviet look than anything 'Merican.  Don’t know anything about the brewery; was this intentional?

The capitol dome looks Soviet?  I suppose the red could use some blue to go along with it.

It does have a monumental looks, which I’m sure is intentional.  DC is a government city, and I guess these days anything involving government has become looked at as (gasp) communism.

Back to the original topic, if you’re going to call it “Big Bug”, the bug had better be big.  Like this guy:

Totally a Soviet Propaganda type. Weird choice for a DC brewery.

“DC Brau Brewring Company” is kind of hard to say, kind of gibberish, a mix of two languages, and includes an abbreviation. I don’t know anything about their beer, but I hate the name.

Well, I think it’s definitely meant to be subversive.  :smiley:

dc-brau-corruption-ale.jpeg

Man its hard to keep a group of brewers/drinkers focused haha

Anyhow,
The full story of the “BigBug” name can be found in this blogpost on our website http://www.bigbugbrewing.com/blog/what%E2%80%99sinaname

Our name is meaningful and has a great back story / metaphor which jives nicely with the current craft beer culture. It’s about doing what you want, being true to yourself, and not letting people discourage you from living your life by your own rules. We will follow this philosophy when brewing our beers and I believe that people will appreciate our individuality, and enjoy the unique flavors and atmosphere we will provide. While the name may not scream beer in the traditional sense I think that it will set us apart from the crowd. I don’t believe that logo’s or names need to incorporate the product as long as the story is good and the brand is strong.

Cheers!
Pete

ps lets get this thread back on track and talk about logo feedback please!! :wink:

I read through the history, and I gotta say- I don’t follow it. I think it’s entirely too wordy and needs a grammar edit. The second sentence in the first true paragraph has so many semi-colons, I had to re-read it 4 times to understand it. It also comes across as condescending and a big inside joke.

More importantly, I don’t see the connection to brewing. The only loose connection I see is that you used to go to college with some dude who likes beer and giving himself a nickname. It doesn’t intrigue or interest me. I thought maybe you’d have a story about a homebrew batch that a bug wound up in the fermenter and it still turned out great and inspired you or something.

Not trying to bash you, just wanted to provide my honest opinion.

+1.  Not the most magnetic name, logo, story.  Having said that, I think the quality of a beer (or lack of) speaks loudly. There is so much word of mouth among beer geeks on the net these days that a great beer ( or piss poor one) will stand on its merits, good or otherwise.

I do not know.

It is hard to make bad beer these days. There is a lot of info out there. It is not mystery any more.
So solid beers are one of requirements but you need to give your consumer a message why they should buy your beer.

Your name and logo should project what you are all about.
What you can tell me about this one: