What's Brewing This Weekend - 3/11 Edition

Which strains?  I know anomalus, bruxellensis, claussenii, and lambicus . . . is there another one out?

Which strains?  I know anomalus, bruxellensis, claussenii, and lambicus . . . is there another one out?

[/quote]

Mr.Edensis

After a four month hiatus from brewing to tackle our recent move, I’m breaking in the new brewery on Sunday.  I’ll be brewing ten gallons of my Timothy Taylor Landlord clone.  Supposed to be partly sunny and 42oF that day, so the garage will be a bit chilly but I’m stoked!  I’m subbing Willamette for the Styrian Goldings this time around and am using the Wyeast Yorkshire 1469 strain.  Everything else stays the same.

maybe bottling a small beer and dry hopping my maple barley wine

Biere de Mars, based on the recipe in Farmhouse Ales.

Just finished a Timothy Taylor Landlord knockoff 20 minutes ago.  This one is going to be a little darker than my last.  It uses the Wyeast 1469.  Really liked the one from last December, so time for more.

Maibock is up this weekend.  And cleaning kegs.  I haven’t cleaned kegs since December.  :-[

Looking to do an American rye Ale. Brewing for the second annual:
Yard City Cask Beer & Real Ale Festival '11
Saturday, April 2nd
Veterans of Foreign Wars Post #239
190 Dora Avenue
Bremerton, WA

Six brewers (myself included) will be rolling out their low gravity young keg carbonated beers.
I am running over to the LHBS for supplies this morning.

Not brewing, just kegging a best bitter and then bottling several entries for the NHC in the next week.

I was told, but can’t remember exactly, as I was given a slurry from Chad (writer of the Brettanomyces Project)  here… http://www.crookedstave.com/2011/03/batch-3/
I know he told me there wasn’t any anomalus, but can’t remember the other two since I wasn’t familiar with them.  He cultured them himself and said they weren’t commercially available (obviously).
I’ll ask him again, but b.custersianus sounds right… can’t remember.

It’s all an experiment.

Cool, according to the site they are:
WLP645 - B. claussenii
WLP650 - B. bruxellensis
WLP653 - B. lambicus
CMY001 - B. bruxellensis
BSI-Drie - B. bruxellensis

The “BSI-Drie” and CMY001 were cultured from a bottle that was 100% fermented with a Drei var. from Brewing Science Institute (Brettanomyces bruxellensis var. Drei - Highly aromatic brett strain. Sourness takes extensive aging to produce).  He seems to think there were two distinct strains, or possibly that one had picked up a mutation.  I don’t remember reading about those experiments, thanks.  I haven’t gone through the whole thing, but it looks like a really cool project.

oh, yup those must be them.  I know he said he used 20% of each for the mix.

Brewed Wednesday evening.  OG 1.090
took sample this morning and is down to 1.059 and is smellin’ funk.

No brewing this week.  Driving to the wife’s parent’s place for a week for some vacation.  The whole drive though I’m doing recipe formulation and dreaming of all the beers I could be brewing  ;D

Doing a Club Brew Session at a member’s home on the May River to show some of the newbies all grain.

Tomorrow is a Rye IPA using some Carabohemian in the grain bill.

I will not be brewing or going to the Kona Brewers Festival either.

I have to figure out why all of my DirecTV DVRs are not receiving a signal from the satellite dish (giving me message 771A “cabling problem”) and do a brake job on my wife’s Accord.  We had a power outtage last night and when service was restored no TV signal.  Maybe the tsunami ate the satellite.

Domestic tranquilty supercedes beer around here this weekend.

They say the earth is off its axis a little since the quake.  Maybe that’s it.

Going to brew Dort Export tomorrow.  I hope I remember how.  Last brew day was Jan. 23.

Just finished an all Centennial American Pale Ale (OG 1054).

I’ve got a bad SWM switch. 
DirecTV can race out between 8AM and noon next Tuesday with a replacement. 
Anybody got a spare SWM-8 switch laying around?

Whooee, I was up late last night, finishing up a low level IPA featuring Sorachi Ace.
FWH and then blended late with summit, cent, citra.

I am going with Tsunami Tsorachi IPA.

On Thursday, I went to bottle some of my pale ale for a homebrew club meeting, and to my chagrin, the keg blew.  This beer was on tap for a bit shy of 5 weeks.  Brewed after work on Friday.  Came in 1 point shy of my OG.

Bastage Panty Raid 4 (This is what happens when you run out of hop sacs)
6 gallons
OG = 1.050
IBUs = ~45
Water profile, sulfate ratio is balanced towards bitter with medium-hard carbonate water, 40% RO and 60% tap, 3 grams calcium carbonate, 7 grams gypsum, 4 grams calcium chloride, 3 grams magnesium sulfate and 1.2ML of lactic acid for 10 gallons.  This is the resulting water profile:

Adjusted Mash Calcium (ppm) 117 Magnesium (ppm) 11 Alkalinity as CaCO3 123 Sodium (ppm) 8 Chloride (ppm) 67 Sulfate (ppm) 143
Effective Hardness as CaCO3 90 Residual Alkalinity as CaCO3 Est. -5

Grain Bill:

Rahr Standard 2 Row (70-some-percent)
7.5% British Crystal Malt (30-37L)
7.5% Munich Type II
7.5% Vienna
5% Wheat Malt

Mash at 153 for 60 minutes, then infuse to 168 for 5 minutes and batch sparge, collect 7.5 gallons, boil for 60 minutes:

Hop Bill:

45 IBUs using Rager forumula with pellets.

German Magnum for 23 IBUs at 60 minutes
Amerillo at 30 minutes for 7 IBUs
Centennial at 20,15 and 10 minutes, half oz each at whatever alpha acid

Fermentation at 67 degrees for 10 days with WLP001.

Dry hops are columbus, citra and cascade, .75 oz each, at 70 degrees for 7 days. Cold crash to 35 over night and add gelatin, wait two days and keg the sumbitch!

This beer never fails to please and never lasts more than a month on tap at my house.  As of this moment, blow off tube attached, the Krausen is approaching the top of the carboy!  ;D